The Lagos chairman of CAN, Apostle Alexander Bamgbola, has appealed to all Nigerians to pray for the unity of the nation
Aliko Dangote has disclosed the real cause for increasing attack in some parts of Nigeria
No fewer than 26 states will be participating in the 2017 Calabar carnival, scheduled to begin on Tuesday, Mr Gabe Onah, Chairman of the Carnival Commission has said.
Onah who disclosed this on Sunday in Calabar during the `Technical Recce’ inspection of the carnival routes and the special booths, also said a 30-man horse crew from the Estu Nupe, will participate in the carnival.
According to him, the participating states and local governments will showcase their rich cultural content and what they have to offer to the world.
“The 2017 cultural carnival will feature 26 states and all the 18 local government areas in Cross River. The essence is to allow the people showcase their rich cultural content to the world.
Culture itself is dynamic, and what we have done over the years through training is to develop art and craft and taking them to the next level.
“We are satisfied with the Technical Team, the Very Important Persons booth at target by Mary Slessor is 80 per cent ready and the booth at the High Quality by Marian Road is as good as ready too.
Worthy of note also is the road rehabilitation programme for smooth dancing and movement of the tourists’’, he said.
He further said that the content of Calabar carnival had remained cultural, adding that the 2017 theme `Migration’ was global and unique.
The Chairman said that the carnival had provided a unique job opportunity for unemployed youths to be gainfully engaged in the production of arts and crafts and other fabric used in the carnival.
He said that no fewer than two million tourists from Nigeria and abroad are expected in the state to witness the “largest street carnival” in Africa.
He assured all those visiting the state for the carnival of adequate security had been put in place to ensure a hitch free carnival celebration.
Proudly brought to you by African Entertainment
A total of 7.956 million Nigerians became unemployed between January 2016 and September 30, 2017, data from the National Bureau of Statistics shows.
This unemployment report survey for the third quarter of 2017 released by the NBS on December 22, 2017 puts the number at 7.956 million more than the 8,036 million in stood in 2015 Q4.
The bureau in the report stated that the number of Nigerians that became unemployed rose from 8,036 million in 2015 fourth quarter to 15.998 million in third quarter of 2017.
The report said further that between the second quarter and third quarter of 2017, the number of economically active or working age population (15 – 64 years of age) increased from 110.3 million to 111.1 million.
“The unemployment rate increased from 14.2 per cent in Q4 2016 to 16.2 per cent in Q2 2017 and 18.8 per cent in Q3 2017. The number of people within the labor force who are unemployed or underemployed increased from 13.6 million and 17.7 million respectively in Q2 2017, to 15.9 million and 18.0 million in Q3 2017.
“Total unemployment and underemployment combined increased from 37.2 per cent in the previous quarter to 40 per cent in Q3 2017.
“The labor force population increased from 83.9 million in Q2 2017 to 85.1 million in Q3 2017. The total number of people in full-time employment (at least 40 hours a week) declined from 52.7 million in Q2 2017 to 51.1 million in Q3 2017.”
NBS in the report blames the increasing unemployment and underemployment rates on Nigeria’s fragile economy despite the exit from recession. The report explained that domestic labor market is still fragile and economic growths in the past two quarters in 2017 have not been strong enough to provide employment in Nigeria’s domestic labor market.
“An economic recession is consistent with an increase in unemployment as jobs are lost and new jobs creation is stalled.
“A return to economic growth provides an impetus to employment. However, employment growth may lag, and unemployment rates worsen especially at the end of a recession and for many months after,” the report said.
During the third quarter of 2017, according to the report, 21.2 percent of women within the labour force (aged 15-64 and willing, able, and actively seeking work) were unemployed, compared to 16.5 percent of men within the same period.
The report also noted that underemployment was predominant in the rural areas as 26.9 percent of rural residents within the labour force in were underemployed compared to 9 percent of urban residents within the same period.
See table of the report below:
Presidency has reacted to allegations that President Muhammadu Buhari is behind the removal of the Kano state chairman of the APC
Anambra State governor, Chief Willie Obiano has insisted that there was no truth in the recent rumour that he intended to fly the flag of the All Progressives Grand Alliance, APGA, in the 2019 presidential election.
The Senate President, Dr Bukola Saraki received The 15th Aare Onakakanfo of Yoruba Land at his office located on the 4th floor of the new senate building inside the National Assembly Complex, Abuja.
A masquerade was knocked down by a hit-and-run driver, today, ten days to the end of the year. According to reports, the masquerade is said to have been hit when the driver, who was on high speed, tried to avoid another vehicle on the road.
When before meets after… A man based in Enugu has got his work trending online after redesigning an abandoned and rickety Peugeot 504 vehicle.
The automobile designer and repairer, Frank Blaise totally refurbished the old vehicle both the interior and exterior as the once rejected vehicle has now become the interest of online users.
Remember Mr Obinna Ugwuoke from Ebonyi state, who temporarily went insane after discovering that his wife gave birth to conjoined babies fused at the stomach at First Covenant Hospital in Satellite Town, Lagos on the 8th of May 2017, the conjoined twins have undergone a successful surgery in India involving 22 specialists, according to reports.