A property reportedly belonging to Patience Jonathan was demolished in Abuja
The lawyer in charge of the property claimed no notice was served
– According to him, the issue of the building is still pending in court
A property allegedly belonging to the former first lady, Patience Jonathan, was on Tuesday, January 16, demolished by the FCT Development Control Department.
The News Agency of Nigeria reports that the building, which is inside A. Aruera – Reachout Foundation/Women For Change and Development Initiative, is situated on Shehu Yar’Adua Way along Mabushi–Kado–Life Camp Expressway, Abuja.
Emmanuel Anene, a lawyer with E.A. Ezugwu and Associates, told NAN that the issue of the building is still pending before the Federal High Courts in Lagos and Abuja.
“Sometime before, people from Development Control came to the site, alleging that there was no approval for the building.
We met them at their office and showed them the approval, which they accepted. We thought that the matter was over.
“They had earlier gone to court with application for forfeiture of the property to the government which they failed to achieve at the Lagos High Court.
“So we were surprised that a team came in this afternoon without notifying us to remove the structure.
“Also, we were not served with any notice for demolition, they just came in now and started the demolition of the structure,” he said.
Responding, Muktar Usman, director of development control, Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA), told NAN that the building had no approval and that notice was served for the demolition of the property.
He said the building was not the only one affected by the demolition in the area as there were others that were also demolished.
Muktar alleged that members of staff of the Development Control Department were also assaulted at the premises.
Meanwhile, the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission approached the Federal High Court in Lagos for an applicationseeking the forfeiture of the funds in 15 bank accounts linked to Patience Jonathan.
The funds which the EFCC is seeking to seize, include a total of $8,435,788.84 and over N7.35bn.
The EFCC’s application was, however, objected to by a team of senior lawyers led by Ifedayo Adedipe and Mike Ozekhome who challenged the court’s jurisdiction to entertain the application.
The lawyers told the judge that the funds which the EFCC seeks to seize were already a subject of litigation.